FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Where is the starting or finish line of this year’s event:
-The start and finish will be at the Tublay School of Home Industries in Acop, Tublay 200 meters below the Toll Gate of Halsema Highway
2. What time is the gun start for the EPIC and MINI EPIC?
-The Gun Start for the EPIC is at 5:30am and the MINI EPIC is at 6:30am
3. What is the cut off time for the EPIC and MINI EPIC course?
-The Cut off time for the epic course is 10 hours or 3:30PM there will be an intermediate cutoff at 10kms of 3 hours or 8:30AM and 15 kms of 4.5 hours or 10am (if riders do not reach this area within the time allotted they will be turned back to the finish line)
– The Cut off time for the mini epic course is 6 hours with an intermediate cutoff at 10kms of 3 hours or 9:30am (if riders do not reach this area within the time allotted they will be turned back to the finish line)
4. I cannot join the event, can i transfer my slot to someone else?
-We have included this in the registration information that slots are non-transferrable and non-refundable
5. If i am not yet finished at the cut off time and want to ride can i?
-You can ride up to the point that the sweeper truck will pick you up. Once the truck passes you and the marshal asks you to ride then you must board the vehicle.
6. Can i transfer categories from MINI EPIC to EPIC?
-NO, you cannot transfer from MINI EPIC to EPIC. You may opt to do the MINI EPIC if you are registered for the EPIC but you are not entitled to a refund and you will be subject to the same cut off times as the MINI EPIC course.
7. If i am late for the Gun Start can i still continue?
-Yes you may but you are still subject to the same cut off times as your category.
8. Where can i park my vehicle?
-You may park your vehicle at the Municipal Gym beside the Tublay Municipal hall approximately 200m above the Starting line.
9. Will there be lunch on the course?
-There will only be snacks and water on the course. Lunch is served at the finish line in TSHI
10. What average speed should i aim for to finish the EPIC and MINI EPIC courses within the cut off times?
-We recommend riding the course at 8-10kph this should allow you to finish the course well within the cut off times of your category.
11. What type of bike would you recommend for the GCC6.
-We would recommend a cross country bicycle with 1.95 to 2.1 inch knobby tyres. Any wheel size will do, 26, 27.5, or 29. You may also use a fat bike but take into consideration that this will be a much heavier bike to pedal uphill. Downhill bikes are prohibited on the course.
12. What does the course profile look like?
-The course of the GCC6 is mostly over gravel roads and rocky paths. There is 3000m of climbing and descending for the epic course and 2000m of climbing and descending for the mini epic. The EPIC course climb is mostly 80% over gravel roads so the climb is made more difficult by this. It is not technical but one must be ready to climb up continuously over little bumps from the gravel track for 15kms.
13. Should i use new brake pads?
-although this is not entirely necessary depending on your skill level we recommend using a fresh pair of brake pads or bringing along a pair of brake pads in order to avoid running out on the long descents of the GCC.